Originally Posted by Dottie
Given her age, and her current scores, I think she would do quite well with a full skip. If you are lucky, that would suffice for the duration. My oldest is in a similar situation as a high school junior. She missed the cut by less than a month, and the best thing we ever did was early start her. If your daughter is on board, I would probably pursue that track, given the preschool support/etc. And while she would only be "high" not outstanding in 2nd (next year), keep in mind that she's very likely to "catch up" at an accelerated pace, and be back solidly at the top in due time. If you are lucky, this won't happen until late elementary when it's easier for a bright kid to find peers, be enriched, etc.

I agree with Cricket2 that ability (IQ) testing is a good idea, but I'm not sure it's truly necessary given her history. You know she's bright, you had the preschool pulling for her, and she really barely misses the cut. FWIW, we early started our daughter without those scores in place. (We did have her ability tested later through the school, which helped prove our case in hindsight, but we really did know what we were doing there at the start!)

How does your daughter feel about this possibility? Unfortunately once you do start school, their thoughts have to be factored in. We were fortunate in that we started DD early in preschool, and while it was a fight on my end, DD then was really unaware of any special accommodations. Now that your daughter is IN school, you have to consider her point of view. Again though, if she's on board, I think it's a great idea. I don't always say that about skips, particularly without cognitive data, but I think she has a lot in place to make this a good idea, including her gender. Not to stereotype, but it is less "frowned upon" for a female child (says the mom who boldly did it for both genders!)

Best wishes!

She is on board. We have asked her. I don't think she'd have any problem with skipping the grade and I do feel it would be better for her to have to work a little bit to earn a good grade rather than already knowing it. Her work quality has gone down b/c I think she is bored. I also have to really push her to do the little homework she gets, while she would gladly work for hours on challenging material. I think b/c they are coloring shetts and write the letter/number practice pages she is annoyed by them almost if that makes sense.