Originally Posted by Cricket2
eta: For mid-year 2nd graders her scores would be: 25th percentile (reading), and 77th percentile (math). There must be a lot of expected growth btwn mid 1st and mid 2nd on reading! Unless you have concerns in that area, her reading will likely take off like all of the other kids in 2nd, though. You mention her writing pulling the reading score down. The MAPS test is a computer based multiple choice test and the reading part doesn't including writing as far as I know. Are you sure it was reading MAPS and not Language Usage MAPS for which you were given the 177? Language Usage, while still multiple choice computer administered may include recognition of writing customs as well as grammar and punctuation.Have you had any ability testing done? I'd definitely want to do that before deciding on a skip. I'm not saying that this is the case, but there are kids who achieve highly early on due to factors beyond super high ability and I'd want to make sure on that front too. The Iowa Acceleration Scale does say that kids who are on the older end can be considered for grade skips even if they aren't in that 98th percentile and up range as long as they are 1 standard deviation above the mean. It seems quite likely that your dd will fall at least that high if not higher.

It says on the results they gave me: Reading score 180
(phonological awareness 163-179)
(phonics 170-187)
(concept of print 181-198)
Reading score 174
(vocab. word sturcture 165-179
(comprehension 169-182)
(writing 166-180)

It is my understanding to add the two top scores 180 and 174 and then average them to get the real score which is where the 177 came from.

I also have results on a chart that list her scores as
Reading 177:
Kdg not on charts for fall or spring too high
1: higher 90% for fall
Avg 65% for spring
2: Avg 34-65% for fall
not on charts for spring too low

Math 187
Kdg not on charts for fall or spring too high
1: not on charts for fall too high
High 66% for spring
2: high 66% for fall
Avg 34-65% for spring

The chart they gave says RIT scores to percentile rank conversion chart. It seems like there are several ways to read them.

Last edited by landofthelost; 01/23/11 01:11 PM.