Originally Posted by landofthelost
That they again would prefer to come up with a plan that works without a grade skip as she feels the educational gaps can be significant and may impact her in the future. Her exact words were "something she misses out on now may not be noticed until she goes as far as Algebra and could hinder her future success". I am by no means a math expert, but I highly doubt any lesson she'd miss in 1st grade could somehow impact her future algebra score, but again I am no expert. I just hope the would at least be open to her going to 2nd for math as that is the area she is scoring the highest.
That sounds like total baloney to me. Math is my dd12's weakest subject. Pre-skip she was scoring btwn the 92nd to 97th percentile on grade level math achievement tests (ITBS and MAPS). She was in the 99th for everything else and remained in the 99th for everything else even right after skipping. Two and a half years after skipping 5th grade (including, of course, 5th grade math), her in grade math achievement scores are around the 94th percentile -- still not her strongest area, but she's not having any trouble.

My kids are much older and I would be shocked if anything she missed in early elementary math would impact her later. That sounds like something coming from someone who wants to scare you into following her advice. I was told by the principal at the neighborhood elementary when we enrolled dd12 to start K shortly before her 5th bd something similar -- that we might not see the ramifications of her being younger for years and years but that it would impact her later years down the line where she would struggle academically and we would wish that we had waited to start her when she was older (which was obviously not the case).