I think what Kvmum was saying (and what I agreed with) is that the idea that academic knowledge is valuable is not universal. Of course it is present among some working-class families, as it was in mine. But in some communities and cultures, it is simply less valued, and street smarts and fitting in are valued considerably more. A person who is highly intelligent growing up in poverty may see reading and proper grammar as a waste of time, something that is elitist or even embarrassing.

I know people who have contempt for proper grammar and sounding/being too smart. A gifted person who grows up around people like that isn't necessarily going to be immune from having that attitude just because he or she is gifted.

I mean, honestly, I don't hear middle class people saying things like "me and his dad spends" all that often. Yes, people talk like that. But the people who talk like that are, for the most part, people who were raised in, and never escaped, poverty. I don't see it as being a sign of low intelligence, for the most part. After all, subject/verb agreement is something a typical child masters well before middle school...so adults who are genuinely unable to figure it out must be far below the curve.

So, yeah, I do see this as a class/cultural issue. Of course I don't think that anyone is being biased deliberately, but that doesn't mean that it isn't happening.