I don't recall a case where I've seriously thought the parent was just lying, but I have seen cases where, based on the parent not coming across as particularly intelligent, I've wondered whether it's more a case of a child who is significantly brighter than the parent than of a child who is very unusual. It seems unsurprising if a parent in that situation overestimates how unusual their child is, in fact, and the parent may well need some of the same kind of support as parents of PG children, so that doesn't bother me (as lying would, of course).

Board culture and norms for how to judge children - tricky. My DS is one who's never done any standardised testing of reading (AFAIK) so any estimate I've ever made is based on what he's reading for pleasure and clearly understanding. I hope that wouldn't have irked gratefulmom! I do remember being annoyed - well, more bemused than annoyed, really, although with hindsight, it was indicative of the culture of the board which did end up annoying me - with one place where there was a tradition of testing young children's reading using word lists, like the Schonell test. Not only did that have the problems of judging reading based on a simplistic measure, but also, some posters were reusing the same word list very frequently, thereby invalidating the test; it seemed so pointless as to be rather weird. Still, some people don't like the way this place comes over, either.

Email: my username, followed by 2, at google's mail