Realizing that this was my own made up example, what I was trying to convey here was:

subject/verb disagreement ["me and his dad (i.e. "we") spends" - and - "teachers says"]
misuse of homophones ("there" for "they're")
spelling errors as you mentioned
using the wrong pronoun again as you noted ("me" for "I" as well as "her" for "she")

eta:

As I think about this more, it comes down to two things I need to think about. One: I need to reexamine my assumption that the likelihood of a child being gifted is lesser if the parent doesn't appear intelligent.

Two: I have, honestly, always assumed that intelligent people question and pick up on mistakes through reading or simple exposure in life. Thus, I figured that people who didn't pick up on things like proper usage of "she and I" vs. "me and her" through exposure to people who speak correctly (either in writing or just talking), were probably not unusually bright. It isn't about my feeling like education and intelligence are the same thing. It is more about assuming that intelligence and self-awareness are correlated and that intelligence tends to cause people to self-correct when exposed to 30 people responding to your post who use the same phrase you did but correctly.

I'll need to think about that more.

Last edited by Cricket2; 09/26/10 09:04 AM.