Originally Posted by NCPMom
Having said that, I do see spelling and grammatical errors in posts, and mostly my thought is that the writer was in a hurry and didn't go back and check what they had written. I don't think I have ever thought it was a marker of "lesser" intelligence.
I'm starting to feel like a really judgemental person here wink. I'm truly not judging spelling errors and lack of commas. I do that myself. I also throw in the wrong word, write run on sentences, etc.

Just to give an idea of what I am talking about (and so you all don't think that I am picking apart any typos in your posts or mine), the posts that have left me wondering about what the person was saying have looked something like this:

"My kid is PG. Me and his dad spends alot of time trying to get his teachers to acomodate him, but he is learning rediculous stuff. I know that he can read hard chapter books because he has been reading them since he was little, but his teachers says that he is only reading at grade level. That is rediculous! I know there wrong about what he can do, but me and her can't comunicate."

Either way, you are all right. It is better to respond as if the person is accurate in his/her assessment of the child b/c it doesn't really matter if the poster is off base. FWIW, I'm not rude to anyone; I just give more brief responses or none at all in instances of this sort. I should, however, consider some of the suggestions here regarding LDs, a disconnect btwn the child and parent's intelligence, and parents who have strengths in areas other than verbal intelligence.

The comments regarding these people perhaps not being high in the verbal IQ area, but high in perceptual reasoning is a good thought that I should have considered.