An unsophistcated mother's reply: �
My conversational contributions are often contradictory or confusing coupled with inconsistencies and errors.�
My mother would come off sounding better through her hesitation and self-conscious self-censoring. �She's not gifted or if she is she's only barely so, the gifted genes are from my dad's side. �At some point when I was telling someone that as a child I sounded like an encyclopedia or a concordance with perfect grammar and excellent manners (what happened?!) �
What does this mean for my kids? �The midwife who delivers for me laughed and said after nine months of seeing my three year old lately "he's going to be a genius but not a nerd". � �Could I sound intelligent again? �Who knows. �People end up figuring it out anyway if they spend too much time with me. �As for advocacy "Persistence overcomes resistance". �

Yay! For the mommy brains and the compassionate intelligent posters who live on this forum. �

Also, I've said I'm sure my son is PG since slightly after he was born. �And not only have I not had him tested he doesn't match all the milestones online. �Like he's never done a jigsaw puzzle, he doesn't speak elegantly. �I'm still sure he's "way up there" and other people keep telling me so. �PG runs in my dad's family (unbeknownst to my single mom) �and I was id'd as a teenager (not just extremely smart, huh?). ��

Anyway I just read an article linked here from Psychology Today�that said the "gifted" label is all in how it affects the child. �Some children enjoy the label as praise, acknowledgement, and encouragement. �They go on and try a little harder and do a little more. �Some children get anxiety and self-image issues from the "gifted" label and are afraid they can't live up to it. �

Youth lives by personality, age lives by calculation. -- Aristotle on a calendar