Originally Posted by no5no5
I'll also point out that there are plenty of kids who are HG/PG whose parents are not. DH & I both have ND/MG parents, yet we are both on the very upper end of the curve. smile
I guess that I have been under the assumption (somewhat fed by the "experts") that PG kids don't have ND parents. I could see a MG/PG mix within a family or a ND/MG mix, but a Little Man Tate situation isn't something I've honestly expected to happen as frequently as I see being presented online.

Again, I am not at all talking about this board. I'm not a particularly great speller myself, but I do generally use simple words and phrases like "moot point" vs. "mute point" or "a lot" vs. "alot" or even "due to" vs. "do too" correctly. We all make typos and, like someone else pointed out, some gifted people are dyslexic so that it is good reminder to me. Do you all think that writing things like "mute point" or "persay" (per se) could be due to dyslexia or just being a bad speller if they happen over and over?

Originally Posted by ColinsMum
It seems unsurprising if a parent in that situation overestimates how unusual their child is, in fact, and the parent may well need some of the same kind of support as parents of PG children, so that doesn't bother me (as lying would, of course).
None of these people have struck me as intentionally lying. I am left scratching my head when people state that their kids are PG with no test results to back it up and there are some who I've wondered if they simply can't or don't understand what test scores mean or who have quoted impossible test scores (99.9th on a test that doesn't have that level of sensitivity, for example), but I've never detected malintent. I don't really even find myself irritated at the person so much as doubting what s/he is saying.

That doubt is making me feel like I am being unfair, though, b/c who I am to know given that we are all online. The kid could be brilliant and his/her parent isn't presenting things from the parent's end that make the best case for the child.