I grew up with 2 sisters, so I was not prepared for having 4 boys. Girls and boys definitely do things differently. Much more physical with boys, and it is sometimes hard for me not to jump in and make them stop wrestling--my DH says, "it's ok--no one is getting hurt".

Regarding DS 13, I don't think he understands how he sounds when answering me--his voice is changing, and when I call to him and he answers "WHAT?" in the nastiest voice, he looks surprised when I march up and say he's not allowed to speak to me like that.

He moves more slowly than an old lady; when we walk together, I get there way before him, and I'm much closer to the "old woman". He slouches in chairs with his legs spread out (I wonder how much he does this at school)--we got into such an argument because it looks disrespectful to sit like that (body language)--gangsterish. I repeatedly tell him he's not a gangster--far from it, but I know he's just trying to be "cool".

He does not watch a lot of TV, but listens to a lot of music, maybe some music videos on computer, YouTube. I think he gets the "cool" walk/stance from friends or kids at school. His school does have real-life gangsters. >70% low income, >%50 hispanic--a kid got run over (deliberately) in front of him on Friday. Maybe it's survival stance for skinny little white boy.