My DS13 can be wonderful and can be difficult/unreachable, back and forth. Such a roller coaster! Just venting.

Had to resurrect this thread b/c of a phone call I got this am from DH.
DH does math club on Monday A.M. at kid's school. DS was so full of "attitude" this A.M. that he had to kick him out of the classroom. Literally. DS wanted to come back in after a while but DH would not let him, he just said "stay out please".

Like Cym wrote in some of her posts, it is such a roller coaster. One day (or one minute) DS can be very responsible and very mature and then suddenly act as a total jerk. Like yesterday - both kids play their instruments at mass - he was so mature, so well responding to other people in church, so well dressed and may I say that he dresses himself now (you know what I mean) and he can really look like a very propper, very preppy boy. He likes wearing nice shoes, jackets, will not leave the house without a belt etc.
Because he had quite a busy weekend up to that point, I asked if he wanted to go skiing in the afternoon. Of course he did, so I took DS and his buddy (had to drive to pick him up) up the mountain for the afternoon. In the evening, when we got back - a totally different boy! Full of attitude, evasive, twisting the truth etc. And obviously this attitude continues today.
My first reaction to incidents like this is taking away priviliges like cell phone, i-pod, laptop, till behavior improves. I tried reasoning and kind of adult to adult talk, but I get instant improvement when I take priviliges away (it is like he can't survive without texting), so I tend to do it.
He has a B-day coming up this weekend. He will be 13. He has been asking for a guitar since he was 8 or 9 years old, we have always said that he will get one when he is a teenager. There is an electric guitar waiting form him, hidden in the basement, but I am of course having second thoughts.
I am just venting, I know that it REALLY is a roller coaster and that he will be nice and obedient again in 24 hours or less and than again this change of attitude in a day or two.
I do allow him to talk to me when he is angry or irritated and walk away to distance himself. I do this and have told my kids over and over again that I will accept something like that when emotions are flying high. But it is slowly changing into this love you one day/ hate you tomorrow attitude .