I find DS is better if he's been isolated from friends for the weekend (not on purpose, but if our family goes away).

Funny, I can make exactly the same observation.
To followup on yesterdays (mis)behavior: DS came out of school like if nothing had happened, and when gently probbed, basically stated that DH was just really ticked off that morning (??) and DS did not feel like he has done anything to warrant him being removed from the class, but he did say that yes, he was not paying attention. He was his very nice self all afternoon and evening, did not text, did not use his I-pod even though we have spent almost an hour in the car going to an from violin lesson. He was reading instead:-) Does he already know that when I am ticked off I tend to confiscate his electronic devices and was he smart enough to not even show them to me? Probably, because as I did not see him "overusing" them, I did not take them away:-) To make things eve funnier, when we got back home in the evening, he started working on his AoPS problems without any prompting. We did not comment, but DS said that he will spend some time doing this since there was no homework. Bizzare teenagers :-)