Originally Posted by Kriston
Yes, I'm *all about* the common courtesy. If anything, I'm a hard-you-know-what about behavior, DEFINTELY not a pushover! So I don't entirely buy the "learned behavior" thing. It's a bit too much "blame the mother" for my taste. And since I do NOT tolerate that behavior, I know that's not fair.

I do find that he behaves worse when I haven't spent as much time with him, so I usually figure it's an attention-getting move on his part.

You jumped to the wrong conclusion on where the child learned the behavior, if you are referring to my comment. Look at how much press Brittney Spears and her younger sister get. Look how popular the "Bratz" dolls are. Watch the commercials and see the attitude children are giving the adults. Talk to elementary school teachers, ones who have taught more than 10 years, and ask them if younger and younger children are showing more 'attitude'.
I'm sorry you apparently thought I was blaming you, but a 5 year old with 'attitude' is not suffering hormone issues unless you're dealing with a malfunctioning hormone system. It's a learned behavior.