Grinity,
Thank you! We actually DID cut the dose in half today based on the doctor's advice. The teacher is saying that he's emotional all day at school (crying, practically hyperventilating with some obsessive compulsive type behaviors). When he's at home, we just see the very subtle changes in mood. At school, apparently, it's pretty drastic. He is getting his work done, though! So, the doctor thinks his dose might be too high. We'll see how it goes over the next day or so. This is not fun, but I actually think he's feeling better about himself in general. You asked if he is bothered by the sad moments, and I honestly don't think he is. He said today, "I hope I'm not so emotional today, but I REALLY hope I can still focus." As for the positive reinforcement, I am praising him when I see him handling things so maturely. He actually came home from school yesterday and spent almost an hour writing in his journal. He's writing a novel about his adventures. If you recall, a few weeks ago we though me might be dyspraxic!
Do you really think that we might need more than a week for the medication to "balance out"? I am going in to observe later this week. I want to see the "severe emotionality" for myself.