Originally Posted by CFK
I thought that ADHD meds were not supposed to be used when there was a diagnosis of Tourette's. Didn't studies show that the medication increased tics, or has that been disproven?

I think they recommend "testing" for Tourette's before using stimulants b/c stimulants can exacerbate or bring on tics that a child is already predisposed to. I'm not sure if it's true that the stimulants actually CAUSE the Tourette's. It is my understanding that the meds do not cause the tics, they just increase the chance that they will actually manifest. Sounds convenient though, huh? We haven't seen anything like that so far, but it's only been a week.

This is such scary stuff for me, and for many others. I'm scared to death to give ds the meds, but then I feel that I'm not meeting his needs if I withhold it. He was simply not functioning in a classroom despite changes in setting (home-school, Montessori) and increased difficulty level of work. We've tried accommodations at home and interventions in the classroom. It's just gotten to the point that the ADHD is evident, and it's so frustrating that there's no great treatment. I guess it's like that for many families dealing with ASD, depression, anxiety, and other physical and psychiatric disorders as well.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the Vyvanse will work for us. I hate the thought of countless medication and dosage changes. Right now, ds seems to be doing well for the most part. He's completing his work at school and is able to focus. The downside is that we have to really push the food intake. He doesn't have much of an appetite. He's starving every morning, so he eats a huge breakfast, but he's still not really hungry by dinner. He eats a decent amount at dinner, but not enough to make up for eating very little lunch and skipping snacks. I think this is why he wakes up between 5-6am every morning. His tummy is empty.

Also, he is still emotional on the meds. Two days this week, he had just two or three emotional moments at school. Yesterday, he cried off and on all day at school. It's like a sadness rather than frustration and anger (his usual M.O.). The teacher said it's like how a child acts when they are really tired. He doesn't seem tired, but stimulants do slow down the brain in people with ADHD.

Speaking of, DS sometimes complains that his brain isn't working right. He actually said, "I wanted my brain to slow down, not stop!" Other times he says he feels great because he's able to shut out all the noise around him and concentrate on what he's doing. On those days, he says he can think "better" than usual. I'm going to give it another week or two and see if things balance out a little more. If not, I guess we'll be reducing the dose (already on the lowest dose, so we'd have half it) or changing meds. Patience is not my strong suit.

Right this minute I am cracking up laughing. DS just walked out here all dressed and ready for the day, bed is made, breakfast dishes are in the sink, teeth brushed, and room clean. He even made his bed and carried his dirty clothes to the laundry room. This is the same kid that I usually have to tell at least 5 times to do just one of those tasks, and I often have to go in and physically help him get started. He's happy and pleased with himself for doing those things. But, in a couple of hours I'm afraid he's going to get sad. : (

What a roller coaster! Thanks for "listing" to me vent. I have rambled on and on here, but sometimes it just helps to get it out, right? Thank you for all of your responses. It helps me to put our situation in perspective when I hear others' experiences. Misery loves company...safety in numbers...something like that. wink

Last edited by JenSMP; 02/20/10 07:01 AM. Reason: typos