Today we started the Vyvanse. About an hour after taking it, we noticed he seemed more subdued and relaxed but no personality change or anything like that. Then he became very clingy and affectionate, very very syrupy sweet. Then about 3 hours after taking the medication, he had a MAJOR meltdown/tantrum over having to turn off his DSi. It was an extreme over reaction. He even kicked his door repeatedly and make his leg bleed. It took quite a while to calm him down and he complained that his head never works right, that his conscience should be telling him the right thing to do but his tells him to keep behaving badly. Once I got him calmed down, he thanked me for making him feel better and has been very clingy ever since. Now he's just moody and irritable and cries very easily. Everything is bothering him. We finally had to tell him to not talk if he was going to complain. It's almost like he's imagining things to complain about. Overall, he's definitely calmer but I'm not noticing that he's any more focused, and he's certainly NOT happier. He's very needy.

I know it's just the first day. Is this normal though? Does he need a higher dose, or is this an indication that it's the wrong medication? The doctor said the medication should start working on the first day but to observe for 3-7 days at the current dosage before increasing the dose. I can't imagine him going to school on Tuesday like this.

I've been to some ADHD forums, but they scare the hell out of me, to tell you the truth. You get such mixed information. I will continue to check them out, but I have come to really trust the information and advice I get on this site. I know anything I hear here is going to be well-thought out and provided based on the experience of other very caring, dedicated parents.