Originally Posted by JenSMP
On a very positive note, today at 2:45, ds started running around the house acting wild and impulsive. I said, "you know, I see a meltdown coming. You tend to have one around 3:00 a lot of days." So, I asked if he wanted to sit down and have a snack together. We did, and he was great. He even said, "A lot of times, when I have a meltdown you give me food and I feel a lot better. Maybe I just need to eat before the meltdown starts." Well, there's an idea!!! LOL I try, but he's not one to tell me if he's hungry, and on many days 3:00 is a very hectic time. I'm going to make sure to have a snack on hand, even though I'm not sure that's really the trigger.

Go Jen!
I'm so glad to hear about you and DS having this discussion. My guess is that taking yourself 'off the hook' has allowed you and him the space to talk about 'the elephant in the living room.' sounds like some great problem solving and insight on both of your parts.

I want to throw in a 'bonus caution' - it is so amazing that a 6 year old can have that kind of self insight. I used to get so confused after similar conversations that my DS couldn't always put his insights into practice. That asynchrony thing.

BTW - in my house, I would set an alarm on my cell phone for 2:40 to give myself a 10 minute warning that I 'really did' have to stop what I was doing and make a little snack each day. I love those cell phone 'extras.'

L&ML,
Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com