The optometrist did not recommend further vision therapy, since the therapy my son did have did all it could do, and my son did not need glasses. He said my son does have some problems related to vision but he says it is something glasses will not fix. We told him about the headaches, slight lack of coordination, low tone, vestibular and proprioceptive issues, occasionally reversing letters and numbers and that we were just looking for answers and wanted to see if his vision has anything to do with these problems. He said it did, but it wasn't something he could do anything about. He recommend some exercises where my son has to catch different sized balls that I throw to him. There is another where I have to hold a small flashlight with one hand and have him look from that to my other hand that I move up and down--I guess this is to help with tracking. My son asked if we could do this without the flashlight since he is sensitive to the light. The optometrist is supposed to send a report to the developmental pediatrician--so we have one more piece to add to the puzzle.

My son absolutely could not tolerate the "puff test" that is part of a regular eye exam. I don't know if this is a sensory issue or not. He knows in his head that it isn't anything to be afraid of. He watched his dad have it done and the lady that did the testing showed him the screen that she looked at while doing the testing, and none of it made any difference. I guess he has some kind of "puff test phobia" or something. He says he knows this fear is irrational but can't seem to overcome it.

Tomorrow I will have him practice coloring in bubble sheets to see if he can do it without accommodations for testing.