Hi everyone I am new here. I have known my son was "gifted" since he was a small child with the high vocabulary, long attention span, interest in very unusual things, etc. But he has also had problems along the way with skipping words while reading, reversing letters, problems lining number up, etc. He was tested for the gifted program and scored very high in the verbal comprehension area,138, but much lower in the other areas with an over all 120, so he did not "qualify". I have just recently figured out he has a visual perception/tracking problem and he is now receiving therapy for this. I had a meeting with the school today to explain the 2e situation and why I believe he is gifted (the high score which would be used for gifted criteria elsewhere) and also learning disabled (the visual problem) and how I felt this had definitely hurt his scoring as he scored lower in the areas where the visual perception would hinder him. It was like hitting a brick wall. I was asked why I needed to have him labeled; and that obviously if he does have a problem he would not be able to keep up in the gifted class; and that I am just guessing that his visual problem is what caused him to score lower, etc. Now I have the options of just going away, which would not hurt him in the slightest, or pursuing this further with others higher up. I'm not sure what to do. He gets good grades and I am getting him therapy for the problems so is it worth it to pursue??

Again, I don't think this would hurt him if I don't pursue it but it also doesn't seem right that the school system doesn't recognize 2e kids needs. I kind of feel like I need to advocate just for the sake of educating if nothing else. But I don't know if it would be worth the time and effort. I'd appreciate any thoughts. Thanks!