Well, I think the conferences went well.

DD: Her teacher wants her to take the GATE test. I'm still unsure about 4th grade GATE teacher. I need to ask around (carefully!) Teacher was surprised that DD scored higher on math test than language arts. Teachers seem to notice that DD has amazing reading skills but since she is a girly-girl they tend to assume she isn't into math <eyeroll>. I told her that DD has been doing EPGY (teacher never heard of it). I found out that unfortunately our school only bought 120 licenses for accelerated reader and those will be going to struggling readers. sigh.

DS: His teacher says that he is very advanced academically although he is the youngest in the class. He needs to work on large motor skills and social skills. She recommends soccer for both those things. He needs to work on handwriting (which looks pretty darn good to me but ok...) Basically, she said it's great for me to do challenging stuff at home (I showed her the Singapore workbook he finished) and to continue doing that. She wants me to have him start writing sentences. I agree with that. There are a couple of other kids in the class who can read so she told me if I come in once a week I can do a reading group with them. She doesn't really have time to do separate lessons for them. She doesn't have time to do any kind of math for him. I believe her! I just don't know what to do... I told her that I am not sure where the best fit for DS will be next year. Neither first nor second grade seems to be right. She suggested that I meet with the school psychologist to figure that out.

So... I have to take some time to digest what was said and figure out my next step.

What do all of you think?

Cathy