Kriston, it helps a lot to know that someone else is dealing with many of the same issues we are!

I think DS is improving when it comes to socializing at recess. At first, he just kind of stood there and watched the other kids, but now he is starting to interact a bit more. He is more interested in talking to the teachers than the other kids...

He doesn't really seem unhappy at school, but he does daydream when the teacher is talking about the word "is" or similar lessons. He likes to do the art projects (not coloring--they really overdo on that and he is sick of it) and the science table which I volunteer at once a week. He likes singing and he taught himself some sign language from a poster in the room.
Many of these things will not be a big part of first grade, however.

As for the allergies, DS does advocate for himself and always asks people if there are eggs in something. The problem is when the adults say something is safe when they haven't really read the label or when it is something homemade--I'm sure you know what I mean! Our rule for school is that DS can't eat anything unless I have personally checked it. He is very faithful about this and is aware that anaphylaxis can be fatal. I have worked very hard with the school to put safeguards in place. DS has a 504 plan and a health plan for his allergies and the school is required to administer epipen if he has a reaction. So I feel like the school is one place that is reasonably safe for him.

The problem with outside activities is usually that adults who are in charge don't want to be responsible for the epipen. I am planning to have DS wear his epipen next year if he hasn't outgrown his allergies but someone still has to be willing to use it if necessary.

Anyway, I didn't mean for this to become an allergy thread! It's just that food allergies can be isolating.

Cathy