I sympathize. I'm an evidence person, so I completely identify with your distress over making these decisions blind! So painful. I just keep reminding myself that nothing is irreversible and kids are adaptable. If you're prepared to adapt your course of action as you go along, it will all work out eventually.

What are the pros and cons to the GATE program? Why was the principal negative about it?

Do you think there's anything useful for the teacher to glean from the WPPSI? Someone here (sorry! I forget who, and I'm too lazy to check the archives!) offered what I thought was BRILLIANT advice: when talking to the teacher, focus more or less exclusively on how your child is feeling and behaving. That sets things up less as a problem to be solved as a team and minimizes the likelihood that the teacher will feel attacked in any way. There's also little chance that you'll seem to be bragging. After all, you're asking for help with solving a problem. That certainly seems more likely to get good results than showing the test scores.

Of course, there are those people who respect only test scores, so I think you should have them with you just in case, even if you don't plan to show them to her.

All the best!

Kriston