One of the most interesting insights I got from Webb's book on misdiagnosis of Asperger's versus gifted - some gifted kids look really out of step socially when they are not with their true peers. This often results in a diagnosis of Asperger's. But when you put them in their own circle - true peers who share their interests and are intellectually similar - the "asperger's" disappears. All of a sudden the child is able to relate, connect, share, engage and show emotions. A child with Asperger's still looks like he/she has Asperger's. I've seen three boys with Asperger's get together who all love Pokemon. They still display all the characteristics of Asperger's despite all sharing the same interest and even perhaps intellectual level. They still appear to be alone in a group. If they've learned social skills they may interact differently but appear stilted or unnatural in their exchanges.

Look for the quality of the social interactions in different settings. If the quality changes from one setting to another it is not likely Asperger's, IMHO. But, lately I'm on my soapbox for less diagnosing and more acceptance. So I might be biased.