It's a good idea to investigate further, especially if you feel that he is struggling (or not thriving) in the current classroom environment that he is in.

Colorado and Maryland have a gifted twice exceptional handbook on how their school district will proceed in instructing 2E students. I think other larger school districts are developing their own proceedures and curriculum for twice exceptional.

My 2E (ADHD) son experienced disasters in his elementary years until we moved to a district that had a brilliant gifted coordinator who was able to inspire teachers to keep inspiring my son. Another parent I know has a 2E son (Aspie) in Florida and his IEP allowed him to have 1/2 of his courses with the regular language arts for 5th graders (with a learning assistant) and 1/2 modified insturction in Calculus and HS Biology.

I would advise you to know what direction you are wanting to take and what type of medical tests will allow you to get the IEP you feel your son is needing (and not recieving). This may save you some unnecessary expense.