Well, G3, I kind of am undoing a big skip by homeschooling other topics. He's taking Arabic, a creativity class, and a very focused art class that he'd never take if he weren't homeschooling.

It's easier than you think to do. Granted, it doesn't exactly undo the skip. He's still way ahead in everything. But he is learning other things that keep him going and growing besides the standard curriculum, and it does slow him down somewhat.

The standard curriculum isn't sacred. There's a lot of things not included in it that are fascinating.

you're probably right that I don't think I'd wait until the end of high school to introduce these things. I'd try to weave some learning speed bumps into the time between now and the end of high school. Lots of foreign language--probably more than one!--lots of music, art, science and history that he wouldn't get in school, etc. I think sometimes spending extra time in high school through a planned deacceleration is smart, since there's a lot there that is potentiallhy interesting and challenging. If there's a strong middle school with lots of opportunities I might even have the child stay there longer.

I really do think it's possible. It might not work for everyone. You know your kids. But it's absolutely possible to do!

Last edited by Kriston; 02/22/09 07:48 AM.

Kriston