Had an interesting discussion with the gifted coordinator at DS' school yesterday. She is the one that is advocating a three grade skip for my son. She knows i'm having a very hard time wrapping my head around the idea. Yesterday she told me to consider my son from the perspective of coursework and not grades. She asked me if there weren't any grades K-6 and kids just moved along at the pace they performed would it be an issue? I said "Of course not, that would be the perfect situation". To which she replied "so you're just hung up on the label, 4th grade". I had to agree. She gave me the socialization speech from the other side, that he can interact with his agemates at recess and in afterschool activities like soccer, karate etc. She laughingly reminded me that for the most part he doesn't like time with his agemates except on the playground. Once again I was forced to agree. She showed me his proposed schedule for next year. He would be in 4th grade for all core subjects except math. He could participate in enriched studies for language arts and would be pulled out for math to 6th everyday. In addition because of the way the scheduling works, he can have lunch and recess with the 1st grade so he would have some time with his agemates. His math class would take place while the 4th grade is at lunch.

When I brought up the future and the fact that this would put him in high school at 11, she laughed and said she'd be surprised if he wasn't ready for high school at 9. She said that the speed which he moved through material was amazing and wouldn't be at all surprised to find that he needed a few more skips before we were through. Then she quietly said that she didn't think the high school(there's only one)would be able to give him what he will need at that point and that he would probably require some sort of alternative program of homeschooling, tutors, mentors etc.

She told me that my son truly loves to learn. She's afraid that by not "feeding the beast" his attitude will change and he'll sour on school. He really does love it, drove me crazy over Christmas break about when he vould go back. When I sat him down and talked to him about it, he was all for the idea. He is definitely not lacking in confidence. He's not intimidated by older kids at all and is quite willing to answer questions in regards to why he's in the upper classes.

So, I'm in need of opinions here. Is it just the inability to let go of my picture of "childhood" that's making this so hard?

Shari
Mom to DS 10, DS 11, DS 13
Ability doesn't make us, Choices do!