I know I keep dipping a toe into this subject and then letting it drop, but I get more and more convinced with each passing day that DS4 has a 2E issue. He has all the intensity and perfectionism of a PG child, but without any of the PGness showing.

He seems like a perfectly average kid--if an overly sensitive and perfectionistic child--to his pre-K teacher, and he would to me, too...except for the fact that he is very verbal and loves books but won't look at them, loves to write but does it backwards pretty much all the time and not on purpose, is very visual but has some visual immaturity in how he perceives things... All this screams 2E to me.

Lately I have been thinking that dyslexia might be a/the problem, but I don't know enough about it to get evidence that might support or counter my theory. Aside from the fact that he writes pretty much everything from right to left instead of left to right, I don't know what to look for in a kid who isn't yet reading. (Though he can sound out words like a pro if I point to the letters. But hand him a beginning reader book and he wants no part of it.)

I suspect a dyslexia expert would simply "there-there" me and send me on my way for another year or two because "4yos can't read, crazy lady." frown So I think I need more info and more specific evidence. I believe I have read everything about dyslexia that has crossed this forum in the past year, but it all seems to say that dyslexia can't/shouldn't be diagnosed this early.

Can anyone point me in the right direction of what dyslexia might look like in a GT 4yo? To what sort of expert should I turn for help? We have a Developmental Optometrist. Is this something he can help with?

Our pediatrician already "there-there'd" me about the vision issues, so I'm loathe to ask him about this one. I know he'd just tell me to wait because 4yos can't read.

Or perhaps would our psychologist who tested DS7 (and whom I like and respect very much!) be the person to talk to?

I'm really feeling like I need someone to hold my hand through this mess. I have no idea what we're dealing with, and I can't help feeling like "wait and see" is wasting time that we could be using to help DS4 to get past whatever problem he has. I'd love to hear that he's just an average, ND kid, but my gut tells me that's not what's going on. Everything about him screams GT except for the fact that he does pretty much nothing that looks academically GT...

I'm in one of my worried phases! frown

Thanks, gang! I appreciate whatever you can give me. smile

Kriston