Originally Posted by acs
I think many of the people who made meaningful changes were optimistic people. I can be grateful for what I have while working for change. It's more fun to work while happy than angry.

I agree. And I'm not angry. Maybe frustrated. But not angry.

I just think that saying "Well, we have it better than they do in impoverished countries" isn't exactly a clarion call to action...

I, too, am grateful for what I have. I am glad that we have a working public school system. I think it's important, and I value it.

What's more, I think I am an optimistic person--I am hoping that changing the system is possible, after all! But I'm also a realist, and I think our system could generally work a whole lot better than it does for GT kids.

Honestly, I think one of the biggest reasons that GT kids don't get more/better service from public schools in general (with notable local exceptions!) is because we feel like we shouldn't ask for more. We're afraid to make waves. We don't feel like our kids have a right to it.

Until OUR attitude (as a group) changes so that we feel all GT kids everywhere have a right to a good education, I don't know why the system would change.

The attitude is the basic problem, I think. I think we need to feel that our kids are *entitled* to more.

(That's really the antithesis of gratitude, which is why I'm sounding like the anti-Oprah here. wink )

Kriston