Originally Posted by Dottie
I can see your points Val, and for the most part I agree. I guess I feel that personally I can admit that "the system" is a mess at the moment, while still appreciating the job my local school is doing in spite of it all. I'm pretty happy at the moment with the public education all three of my kids are currently getting and am grateful that we live where we do.

Yes, I agree. I have MAJOR problems with the education system, but badmouthing my local school isn't going to fix those problems. There's a difference there.

I do think that fit can be a problem. Sometimes the school that gets the bad rap in the rumor mill does a great job with HG+ kids. Sometimes the school that's supposed to have such high standards and is so well mentioned in the rumor mill is rigid and takes the "all our kids are GT" stance, so that an HG+ child is not remotely accomodated.

None of that changes the fact that the education system in general is not working as it should. But some schools manage to serve their students anyway. Others--even some private schools, even some GT schools!--don't serve kids well at all.

I, too, am not quiet about the education system needing a MAJOR overhaul. But that's not the closed-mindedness that I was referring to. I think that's a valid analysis based on the available data.

No, I meant what Dottie mentioned earlier: people who talk badly (and often!) about a particular school without really knowing anything about it.

Does that clarify, Val?

Kriston