MrWiggly got through a third of the assessment today. He said some things were easy, some were hard. The principal said he worked hard and was very cooperative and not frustrated. Yea!!!

The assessment is 3rd grade level but we only worked in 2nd grade curriculum. I was a little nervous that the 3rd grade stuff would be too hard. But son seems pretty okay so far.

We are already thinking along the lines of what some of you have said. Dottie: I agree and already have read (and re-read!) "Developing Math Talent". In fact, I copied the first chapter and gave it to the principal LAST year - the part with the myths about mathematically gifted students. I'm hoping he read it and maybe is using some of the info!

We have one, maybe two, more sessions for MrWiggly to complete the assessment. Then we'll meet, get the results and discuss options. If they DO decide to put him in 3rd grade, that will be a two grade level acceleration in math. Anyone have experience with that? MrWiggly is pretty good with social stuff and seems to get along with pretty much everyone. I'm hoping that that much of an acceleration won't make him stand out or be subject to teasing, bullying or whatever. But he won't be 7 until March - much younger than the average 3rd grader. Advice or cautions would be appreciated!