We've spoken more with the principal and he has decided to pretty much put together a sort of curriculum based assessment so that it will (hopefully) reflect my son's current level in relation to what they actually teach at this school.

The dilemma was that IQ tests are just going to show ability but not where he is knowledge base-wise and achievement tests just show how he compares to other kids (like what you are describing Trinity). So for right now the plan is that next week we will show the principal a portfolio of what we've been doing at home (which includes some of the curriculum based assessments that are part of the school based Saxon program) and then the teacher and/or the principal will be administering a more structured assessment in August before school starts.

We are still hopeful for 3rd grade math placement. I don't care how they decide on it, I just hope that's what they decide! He will be back in the same place as this past January, if he has to start out in second grade math.

Thanks for the ideas. I'll let you know how things work out!