Hi Polarbear,
I like your idea of making it my decision and therefore it will be accepted. I'm not sure if it's the degree of anxiety we're dealing with but I haven't had success with that so far. My lack of success might have something to do with not wanting to force him and that ever present challenge of reaching the power wall. Once they say their absolute no and you can't do anything about it you're at a new stage.

Fortunately this DS sometimes responds to persistent, rational discussion on the topic. We'll see.

Actually I want to report a happy complete turnaround of the situation! Joy joy joy!

Last week DS hit a turning point and it has been good to great since then. I think the initial concerns/worries have been resolved and now he feels as though he fits in and is excited about the program. I would go on about the details but I want to be mindful of some small amount of privacy for him. smile

Yay! I know there will be bumps as anxiety has been part of his life, off and on since preschool. There will likely be other obstacles that will/may require the support of a counselor.

It does feel that he may be stronger from having faced this and come out okay. I guess we all go through milestones like this.

Thank you everyone for your comments/suggestions and support. smile