Thank you for your comments Indigo and Puffin.

The gym teacher seems amazing and has stressed that marks are on participation and cooperation not skill in the sport taking the pressure off and focusing on fun and learning.
I think it was just an unknown that made him worried. The program he is in is separate from the rest of the school he's in. There are 3 classes that happen with the general school population. He was concerned that he might be singled out or bullied if recognized as being one of them.

The class seemed to go well so that might be a hurdle crossed.

Science contains topics like world disasters and climate change and existential particle theory. Not comfortable topics for him.

I try to talk through what bothers him but it's almost as if he doesn't know himself. Or he's blocking me and doesn't want to talk about it.

Puffin I like your suggestion about insisting on counseling if we go ahead with DL. Though honestly my insisting hasn't resulted in any success so far. Perhaps a limited number of sessions would help.

I'm trying to get a referral to a counselor early this week and will hopefully be meeting with him myself soon. Perhaps he can walk me through steps I can do with my DS if/until I can get him on board.

So now I'm at the point of what if he refuses to go? I imagine there's just no way around the constant back and forth of you should/you have to/ why? etc.

Anyone else go through this?