Originally Posted by aeh
Pretty much any calendar app that allows multiple reminders will work. Some possible reminders:
1. at the time the assignment is due (to remind her to turn it in)
2. the day before
3. two days before
4. at weekly intervals before a long-term assignment is due.

For long-term assignments, I would also suggest breaking them down into intermediate steps, and creating deadlines for each of those components, with proportionate consequences of personal significance.

For example, a two-page paper (about 5-7 paragraphs) due in one months might become a series of benchmarks:

week 1: identify topic, complete research, write outline.
week 2: write 3 paragraphs (or one page)
week 3: complete first draft and submit to teacher to review
week 4: complete final draft and turn it in.

You could even make the benchmarks smaller:

week 2 day 1: write one paragraph
week 2 day 2: write second paragraph
week 2 day 3: write third paragraph
week 2 day 4: re-read and mark paragraphs with self-edits
week 2 day 5: revise paragraphs

Even if the EF of her go-to adult resources is not that strong, this can work, as the key is to set up all these reminders at the time the assignment is given, and then let the technology do the reminding along the way. If there is anyone in her life that she feels comfortable with pulling in as accountability for this, she could also share this calendar with that person, and ask them to harass her (I mean reinforce!) about sticking to it.

On caffeine, I don't think there's a huge downside to it, and if you find it helpful for yourself, then it is quite possible she will, too. But I'm not an MD.

CBT can be very helpful for anxiety. If you and she feel comfortable with the psych who assessed her, that might be a good place to begin. If he/she doesn't do it, ask for referrals. You may also ask the adjustment/guidance counselors/social workers/school psychologist in her middle school for referrals to outside providers. They often have a good sense of practitioners in the area who are suitable for young adolescents. It is not unusual for individuals to be in biweekly therapy, and find it effective, though, like many therapies, a little more frequency than that would probably be better. The intensity of it, I think, is not as important as rapport and fidelity.

Thanks a lot!

Long term assignments surprisingly aren't a problem. It is day-to-day stuff that is difficult for us. Most are due the morning after they were given so there is very little opportunity for me to intervene. I'm setting an iPhone calendar to do daily reminders, so we'll see if it works....

I'll contact our psychologist about this. Summer time sounds a great opportunity for us to start this. I found metaanalysis of CBT studies. The strongest results are in the area of anxiety, control and stress. Not much in the inattention area. It looks like it is more typically done in adults, right?

Last edited by Chicagomom; 04/27/16 04:47 PM.