Originally Posted by spaghetti
I don't want to become an annoyance, so I'll stop now, but what I'm trying to say is that if you can step it back to look at your own thought process and how you are coming up with solutions, and then begin to do the problem solving WITH them so they can learn to think that way and you can learn to think their way, it might be helpful. Even if you've already done it once and it didn't work. I'm talking more about a different way of life really.
You are not an annoyance at all! Everything you've said here makes sense, and is a different perspective and I appreciate it. It *is* a different way of life. There's a huge mind shift in thinking of DS as super smart with a few ADHD symptoms to a person with ASD, and it changes my perception of what he needs at home and school.

I really like your whole post--it feels like coaching and it's very helpful. So thank you!
Originally Posted by blackcat
On the other hand it could be that the classes are more structured/organized, they play to his strengths rather than weaknesses, the teachers are actually following the 504, and he really is functioning just fine (in which case those teachers might say that they don't believe any special services or an IEP is necessary, just to warn you--after all he does just fine in their classes with the 504).
That is what I meant, really, by "no issues whatsoever." I'm sure teaching DS isn't a cakewalk for anyone, but I haven't heard anything negative from his other teachers and he seems to be doing well in those classes.

My goal for this week is to focus on the positives because the other is upsetting. smile I hope the school will conclude he needs an IEP, but if they don't--we can work with the 504. I'm wanting him to receive some direct interventions, so I can step back a little and just be his mom some of the time. We'll see.