Originally Posted by polarbear
That's actually not a bad idea - does the 504 coordinator understand? I'd seriously consider asking the person who oversees the 504 at your school to have a conversation with the teachers who are being inflexible. There really are people who might *never* "get it" - but if the 504 coordinator can explain what they should be doing both from the disability angle *AND* from the legal compliance angle, and that should help.

Re the points taken off for missing art class - is this the same teacher you had issues with last year (sorry, I can't remember if it was the same school or not last year, but I think I remember the art teacher was difficult?). I understand not wanting to file a complaint with OCR at this point. How high up have you taken your complaint within the school or district? If the school's 504 coordinator can't help with it, you could consider writing an email to the district 504 coordinator explaining the situation.

It's a different art teacher, and I don't sense anything inappropriate/rigid...just having a conversation. The participation points didn't have a huge impact on DS' grade, so I'm going to let this one go for now.

This thing turned ugly yesterday. Email from (district) 504 coordinator misrepresenting my concerns (on a different matter) and questioning DS' placement in the program.

I was instructed during 504 meeting to immediately bring up any concern regarding 504 compliance, but I guess they didn't really mean for me to do that.