When I said no one sews anymore, I didn't really mean no one. Certainly no one in my home does though. Actually I know a lot of people who knit and do some fabric arts, but not the sort of sewing that involves trimwork. What I really meant was that in this modern age where you can buy anything already made sewing has become a thing of the past. Something you only do because you want to, not because you have to. I think it's a great skill to teach your kids. I would teach my son if I could do it myself.

None of the kids we know have any experience with sewing. We did a year of early childhood Waldorf stuff when my son was 2. Had we continued that I'm sure he would have known what it means to trim something, well other than hair smile

Here we just close the curtains. We also don't put out the lights, we turn off the lights. A lot of the old books also include dusting upholstered furniture, which was confusing to my son. He always thought it was so odd when Toad was hitting his chair with a stick!