Well-stated, Bostonian. The reasons for such career choices are only "wrong" in my opinion when they are influenced by external/extrinsic factors such as "why would I want to be surrounded by all of these nasty people for the rest of my working life, again??" instead of "I have a desire to devote my life to helping others," which I consider an intrinsic drive.

My daughter is being buffeted by both things, however. When 95% of your classmates in CS coursework are fairly abrasive "dudes" that see nothing wrong with denigrating the "girls" for merely being there... well, that's a pretty hostile environment.

Any ambivalence at all is going to wither in the face of that, and while women going into those physical-STEM disciplines might-- eventually-- find that applications work IS all about "helping people" the way that they are driven to do, they seldom last long enough to figure that out in the first place.

That is definitely a problem.

Just as an aside, also, I personally have a problem with the fact that in some professional settings, at nearly 50 years of age, I'm still a "girl" to some of my physical-STEM 'peers.' I'm pretty sure that calling them "boys" wouldn't go over very well, so it's unclear why they think that calling me a "girl" is professionally appropriate.

Yes, really. smirk

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.