. I understand that all kids (all people, really) would probably prefer to be around friends for activities. But when your kid is in middle school or high school, and your kid likes soccer and their friends like cross country (or football, field hockey, etc.) does your kid quit soccer and run instead?

No, not if they're happy with their soccer experience overall. But if soccer is socially unenjoyable and another physical activity seems like it would be enjoyable on more levels, then maybe it's time to switch. I'm not going to worry about the lost potential, unless maybe I really think a scholarship is imminent. I do think these activities are "about" making friends to a significant extent. I don't think they should be about denying your passion either, though.

I mean, I get that we don't want girls quitting chess and math club because there are no other girls in the club, but ideally, I'd attack that problem by changing chess and math club, not by telling my child (mine was in second grade when she dropped chess, and hardly a serious chess player, though she still is better than she lets on) "You don't go to chess club to make friends!"