Originally Posted by Dude
Okay, I'll bite. Apart from the same benefits one might attain from after-schooling in math (and if you're already such a stellar math student, what are you really gaining?), what are these benefits, and how are they different from those gained in any other extracurricular activity? Because you can win awards, pad a college application, and qualify for scholarships with any one of the other activities I already mentioned.
Hopefully the main benefit is that they enjoy the activity.

I am separating this last part of Dude's statement because so many people have this incorrect perception.
In addition, most college admissions officers prefer well-rounded applicants.
Selective colleges are NOT looking for well-rounded applicants. They are looking for a well-rounded CLASS. They can put together a well-rounded class by getting the star athletes, the champion debater, the musical prodigy, the politicians, accomplished actors, and yes, even the math and chess prodigies.

Some very specific examples:

* My nephew, who graduated from Yale a few years ago had the 4.0GPA & 2400 SAT (one sitting) and had done some science research with a professor while in high school. His words were "Yale doesn't want well-rounded people. They want pointy people!"
* My next door neighbor has a daughter who is a math prodigy. She is finishing or has finished her PhD in Harvard.
* Two doors down, their son was high school President and near the top of his class, and was accepted into Cornell.
* D's best friend's older sister is now in Harvard. She was a state champion debater.
* My boss has two children in HYPSM. One child was state-level competitive in both debate and track. The other was exceptional in math.