I agree, it is crazy. I've heard a robotics club coach (not the one at my DD's school) say (to a prospective member's parent) "It is really great, there is a girls tournament in [nearby large city], so the girls have a chance to drive (the robot) then. Otherwise they wouldn't get the chance" When asked, by another parent, what the girls usually do, the coach replied "most of them are in the promotion team (advertising and fundraising), which is also really important to the team and is such an important role that enables the competition team to do so much more. One or two of them help the programming squad (writing code), but not at tournaments; there's so much pressure and you have to write code on the spot" Picture me standing there with my mouth open.

I just don't understand...

1) Why don't girls get to drive the robot at regular tournaments?
2) Why would girls prefer to raise money and make posters for the robot club? I mean fine if they do, but do they really?
3) I mean it's the ROBOT club. Doesn't he think that most of the kiddos must be interested in ROBOTS?
4) Why can't girls who do write the code, write it at tournaments?
5) Does he really REALLY think girls can't handle pressure?
6) Brain locks up.

Anyway. Fortunately, at this point the coach moved on to talk about other things (non girl directed) and DD decided not to join this club as it conflicted with other things. Or so she said.