Our older son had a convergence vision issue. It was corrected with 7 months of vision therapy. The tester did say that he might also have a mild auditory issue. We will have him tested at a place recommended by the psychologist. I might also see if we can test my younger son. Is there an age they have to be to do that though? I thought I read that somewhere. Thank you for the information MichelleC .

DeeDee, I agree it looks like he has no common sense when dealing with certain tasks. But then, a lot of the times he has incredible common sense. We always laugh when looking at both kids saying ourge younger is so much more street smart than ourge older. He has an incredible ability to pick up on the way people are acting and their feelings and respond accordingly, I am not kidding. It is like you are dealing with an adult. An adult who has this ability, that is.

Another interesting point is that when he is offered material that is at the right challenge level he does not question it the way he does with easier materials. He does not complicate at the way he goes with easy material. It took me one time showing him how to do addition multi digit carry over a few months back, he got it immediately. No questions asked. Also the other day when he wanted to find out what PI really meant, he just sat there, completely focused and listened. He did ask a couple of questions but completely legitimate ones. Come to think of it it really seems its must be that when the material is too easy he tries to complicate it. Maybe out of boredom, maybe just because he can't imagine something being that simple.

Dude, you are right. A lot of times I think he keeps asking those questions because he wants to make completely sure that we mean what we are telling him. He is a rule follower and probably wants to be 100% sure he is allowed to do something.

Ultramarina, he definitely has some anxiety going on at times. It has gotten better as he has gotten older. It used to be in a new situations, when things are unknown. He would over analyze everything that could happen in that situation. He still does this, but now he is better at thinking about past experiences and realizing it will be ok.

I am not familiar with ASD at all. How would we get this checked out? I guess it would have to be with an experienced psychologist who also specialize in gifted kids right? When we took him in for evaluation about 2 years ago, the psychologist did not think that there was anything out of the ordinary except him possibly being well into the gifted range. I guess it is possible if he only has mild ASD that it could have been missed?