Originally Posted by 1111
Blackcat , I am not sure I would call it a focus issue. I don't know what exactly is happening in school, but at home he pays attention but just seem to overthink, and complicate things. He will ask lots of questions before answering, trying to cover every possible detail, "But this is...", "That makes no sense...", "You mean this or this...". I try to tell him to just answer the question, but there is usually not just a simple answer for him. There are always a bunch of different angles.

My DD did this occasionally when we gave her permission for something, and she'd ask us over and over again. "You mean I can have an ice cream?" "YES! I've told you three times you can have a stinkin' ice cream!"

We came to understand that it was associated with disbelief. She was sure that she shouldn't be allowed whatever she'd asked, we'd said she could, and it didn't make any sense. In some of those cases, it was because she didn't understand the rule, or she didn't understand why this particular case should be an exception, like, "It's a party. We're allowed to eat unhealthy at a party. Just don't over-stuff yourself." Most of the time, this behavior was a signal that she knew something we hadn't thought of, and we needed to reconsider... "Wait a minute. You had cookies earlier. That's enough junk food for one day. No ice cream."