Loy58, I was considering and auditory processing issue, but looking at the signs it doesn't fit him. I am also doubting it because he CAN follow instructions if it is something that interests him. I think I will have it checked out though, just in case. It was mentioned when DS7 was tested on the WISC last summer, he might have a mild case of it. (Clearly compensating, but still).I think I will just check them both to rule it out.

Ashley, thank you for your story. The teacher this year doesn't seem to even know about true giftedness. She comes from the "they all even out in 3rd grade" line of thought. I feel it would be talking to a brick wall trying to get her to understand this. Again, not sure what level my son is. He is very different from my older PG son so I have nothing to compare it to.

She did say back in October that he seems to "over think" everything and expect there to be more to it than it is. I would agree with this in many situations. I asked him myself why, sometimes, he doesn't do what the teacher asks. His response was "It is too easy. They do, what is bigger and smaller, and things like that. I just want to think about math."
So I guess that is part of the answer. When I told his teacher this it didn't seem to click with her. She didn't pay much attention to it. Seems she completely want to downplay that anything might have to do with a higher intellectual ability...ugh....sounds familiar?

Next year he will be with the teacher who saved my older sons life, pretty much. She got him to a place where he is happy, advocated for him. My issue is, my older is a textbook PG kid in every area. Math, spelling, reading, writing, information etc. etc. It was hard enough to get him accommodated. I don't want my younger son's inability to follow directions be an arguing point for the school. Especially if it is all due to him not being stimulated enough, OR the fact that he thinks so much more complicated.

I wonder if there is any kind of learning disability that would look like his profile? How about low processing speed? I guess a WISC would show that. But he still has almost 1 year to go before he can take it.

Not sure if his processing is low or if it's just that he reflects on everything, while my older goes at the speed of light.

Thank you for your input and for sharing your experiences.

Last edited by 1111; 03/20/15 02:03 PM.