I totally agree, aquinas. The more I think about it, the more frustrated I get. I genuinely wonder whether a free public library event can actually (legally?) forbid someone from joining...though at this point, pushing the issue would be nothing short of silly, as the teacher has clearly expressed the fact that she doesn't want DS there, and so I can only image how she would respond to him in the class. But if the situation were reversed, say with a child that had cognitive delays wanting to do a class that was content appropriate, yet 'too young' for him age-wise...would they really turn him away? I simply can't imagine they would. So how is this any different?

Honestly, I am nothing short of disenchanted with the library's response to the situation - regardless of whether or not it would have worked. It would have been so easy to leave, if it there were any issues. So what is the harm?? That's what I don't understand.

I think I am going to tell DS that the class was cancelled, since I don't want him to become troubled about the circumstances surrounding his not being allowed to go.