Thanks all! Still on the fence. DH doesn't think he needs meds at all, particularly since he seems fine in all respects (chess club, math club, hockey lessons, etc.) and is doing so well academically. DH and I are worried the problem is boredom more than adhd (with a little asynchrony thrown in, too) at this point. He said he's not medicating his kid cause some teachers think he's weird and difficult. He is not having any chronic behavior problems in school (other than appearing "to not be paying attention" and then having to figure what is going on)... Even more disconcerting is that appears to us he is not having any of the social problems that the teacher cited in the BASC (that would be another big reason to seriously try meds imo). Not only does he report that he has lots of friends.... we have evidence playdates are already lining up for over the holidays. This leads even more mistrust on my DH's part of the teacher's responses... We are thinking maybe she just exaggerated some (we already had one admit that teachers will do that to get a kid 'help'). I just wish they'd look more to maybe engaging his intellect more to help rather than to a Dx and meds.

Anyway, to help us further, I ask for a copy of last year's teacher's BASC form. I know he only came up "at risk" for "in attention" so I want to see her individual ratings and compare. I also think it would be helpful for an evaluator to see the history. I am thinking of trying to the kindergarten's teacher's form too. His endorsed no problems. I am also getting full achievement done. I think it will help with a complete picture to see how far above (or not) DS is compared to his grade level. Perhaps his most inattentive times will match the achievement levels. Anyway. I figure past BASC results and achievement can only help us and any evaluator in getting a complete picture. Fortunately I am no longer angry at the teacher... I do think she may just be trying to help or doesn't understand that DS may need a lot less repetition and some higher level work.