Originally Posted by indigo
Originally Posted by 22B
... a "flipped classroom" in Physical Education...
LOL. But really. Individual and societal health may be improved by emphasizing lifelong fitness, learning how one's body type may be conducive to a different selection of exercise activities or sports, understanding the role of nutrition, hydration, etc on overall health. Having everyone run a mile on hot asphalt while growing dehydrated does not seem to provide "physical education"...?

I understand the criticism, but I think you need some exposure to modern PE classes- this is exactly what they do. Our kids still spend some time learning traditional sports, but the majority of the time is spent on fitness and/or playground type games, even at the middle school level. They learn how to use the fitness center (treadmills and ellipticals, weights, etc) and focus a lot on outside activities that translate easily to life after school. We haven't gotten to the high school level yet, but I understand they can choose between various units that include Archery. Orienteering, snowshoeing, aerobic dance, in-line skating, tai-chi, etc. And yes, they do have lots of teaching about fitness and nutrition/health, though a good portion of that happens in their mandatory health classes.