Originally Posted by blackcat
Originally Posted by HowlerKarma
I've watched this part four times. I'm just not understanding why you chose to do step 2 this way.

With a live teacher, that question is answered immediately. With a video, the misunderstanding may derail learning for a LONG time.

No, I don't think it would derail learning for a long time because the next day the kid is supposed to go into class and ask the teacher about Step 2. Or the teacher can see that the kid does not get it based on the kid answering questions wrong on the quiz. And then the teacher can work with that kid one-on-one or in a small group of kids that don't get it. I never raised my hand and asked why something was done the way it was done in math or said "I don't get it" in the middle of a lecture. I don't really remember anyone who did. I just took it home and struggled with the textbook. There was very little opportunity to interact with the teacher one on one in class or talk to other kids.

I'm all in favor of removing boring lectures and class discussions geared "toward the middle" in the classroom. The same topics are reviewed over and over and over to everyone so that everyone finally understands the concepts. I cringe to think of how much time my kids are going to waste in the classroom listening to the teachers talk about things they learned a long time ago. I'm surprised more people here on a gifted forum don't agree.

I can see some advantage to my kids although I expect it would just mean they spent most of the class reading as they would have finished the work. But my kids are a very small proportion of the class and I don't believe that the possible advantages to my kids outweigh the disadvantages to kids who a) don't have a computer ar home or don't get to use it because big brother/uncle/cousin/dad is playing games on it, 2) live in environments where doing schoolwork is considered as being available to mind the baby/run to the shop/do something useful, 3) the child needs to work in the evenings (this is obviously older kids but the child might be minding kids all evening too.

I am not in favour of further disadvantaging this disadvantaged. If they want to flip some specific classrooms that is fine but it should be optional.