Originally Posted by blackcat
The same topics are reviewed over and over and over to everyone so that everyone finally understands the concepts. I cringe to think of how much time my kids are going to waste in the classroom listening to the teachers talk about things they learned a long time ago. I'm surprised more people here on a gifted forum don't agree.

I teach one partially flipped (heterogeneous methods, carefully constructed) college class. I'm well aware of the pros and cons.

I would just not assume that most teachers would actually do well-differentiated small-group or individual discussion during that classroom time. Most flipped classrooms have everyone doing exercises during classroom time, but they are usually the SAME exercises for everyone.

It depends entirely on the skill of the teacher. And I don't think most teachers have the skills (it really does take a serious skill set) to differentiate well. I don't think this model, in itself, changes that in any substantive way.

Anyone remember SRA cards? That's how I got elementary math, working almost entirely on my own. The problem was when I got to middle school and they put me back where I thought I should be...