Originally Posted by polarbear
Originally Posted by ashley
My child cannot remember and follow multi-part instructions to save his life.

This is just a side note - but fwiw, remembering and not being able to follow multi-part instructions are possibly different skills/challenges. Forgetting to pick up your backpack from the car seat and then 10 seconds later being reminded by your mom and not knowing what she's talking about sounds like a typical 6 year old excited to be out the door and off to school and simply not *thinking* about the backpack. Not seeing a backpack next to your foot also sounds typical of a 6 year old who's thinking of something else like tying his shoe. Not being able to follow a multi-step direction when you're told, for example, to pick up a book and take it to your room, then come back downstairs (totally just an example) ... isn't necessarily typical at 6. I suspect this isn't really what was meant here... but I wanted to point that out simply because this *was* a challenge for one of my kiddos at that age (due to vision challenges) and it really wasn't typical.

polarbear
Thank you for pointing this out, polarbear. In my child's case, if I told him "Don't forget your backpack, take out the note for the teacher and give it to her and then zip the backpack shut" - he would only remember the first part of it or none of it most of the times, occasionally he would do all of it. Since I am always giving multipart instructions, I am not sure whether that is the problem or it is just forgetfulness.
I am going to test him using simple/single instructions to see how well he can remember/follow them. So, thank you for suggesting that I pay attention to this issue.
OP: sorry for taking your thread off-tangent ...